Friday 20 February 2015

Ok, so maybe the bride didn't wear vintage...

I thought I should post a follow-up to one of my most popular article from back in September of 2013 when I wrote about whether or not a bride should consider wearing a vintage dress. Back when I was planning my summer 2014 wedding, my goal was to incorporate as much vintage - real and faux - as I possibly could without pushing my husbands modern taste over the edge. I wrote this article because I was on the look out for a vintage dress and figured there had to be other ladies out there in the same boat that I was in - turns out there were! 

In the end however, I was unsuccessful in my search. I just could not find a vintage dress that really made me go 'wow, this is it!'. I decided at that point to shift my search. I started looking for a modern dress that was designed with a vintage feel - it would be soft and romantic, with lace and a full skirt. Every store I went into, that is the description that I gave. If I thought finding a real vintage dress was hard, well, finding a look-a-like is not a walk in the park either. I visited many shops that had beautiful dresses, but - alas - they just didn't have what I was looking for. I don't think I even knew what I was looking for, I just knew that it would find me and it would be my gown. I was beginning to lose hope however...

After months of searching and quite honestly coming very close to not getting a dress in time, I finally found it! A wedding dress that checked all of the boxes. I chose an ivory, off the shoulder, lace Tara Keely gown (it also came in blush, but that just seemed like a stretch to me)









This dress stole the show! It is all I heard about for days and weeks following my wedding. Friends and family still comment on the day and always go back to that dress. I think what made this dress so memorable (besides how great I wore it) was that it was unique. It wasn't anything like other brides we wearing and it really stood out - and that is exactly what I wanted. I didn't want to look like every other bride - I really wanted the dress to be 'me' and to look like it was made just for me. I think I succeeded :) 

In the end, the bride did not wear vintage, but she did live happily ever after...





Photos thanks to Alyssa Alkema

No comments:

Post a Comment